Friday, October 2, 2015

Naughty Boys



I began studying Qigong in 1988 while living in Zhengzhou city in Henan province, China. I had come across a flier advertising a course to be taught at the local hospital. The system was called Fomen Jiu Gong Zhang or “Buddhist Nine Palace Palm” and been handed down in the Gong family for many generations. The class was prescribed as medical therapy and all the other students were patients at the hospital. The classes lasted all day. There were practice sessions in the morning and evening and academic sessions in the afternoon. I attended class as whenever I was not teaching English classes at my college. Over the course of a couple of months, I experienced a number of unusual things while studying.

Our instructor, Teacher Gong, always brought his adult sons along to help with the class. One day, early on in my training, about 20 of us were practicing in the courtyard, with Teacher Gong and his sons supervising. We were doing a static posture and  had been holding it for quite a long time. I was new to Qigong and my concentration was not what it should have been. Like most beginners, I was getting bored so I opened my eyes just a bit to see what was going on. The rest of the class were standing stock still, exhibiting all the concentration that I lacked. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see one of Teacher Gong’s sons moving through the crowd, heading in my direction. I quickly shut my eyes, hoping he wouldn’t be able to see that I had been goofing off. I waited for him to arrive. After some time, I opened my eyes slightly and noticed he was standing about 5 to 10 feet behind a nearby student. Curious, I let go of all pretense of practicing and began watching him closely.

As I watched, he extended his arms towards the back of the student. Slowly he pulled his arms back, as if he was a mime pulling taffy or a long rope. As he pulled, the student began to sway backward, almost losing his balance. A couple more pulls and the student did lose his balance and had to step back to catch himself before he fell. He righted himself but was soon pulled off balance again. Each time he would set himself only to be pulled backwards by Teacher Gong’s son. Soon he was taking several steps backwards in order to keep from falling over. All this time he had his eyes tightly shut and had no idea that Teacher Gong’s son was behind him.

Tiring of this, Teacher Gong’s son decided to try something different. After giving the student a few minutes to recover his equilibrium, he started making pushing motions. Sure enough, the student began to lean  forward as if something was pushing him from the back. As the teacher’s son continued to mime pushing, the student leaned farther and farther forward until he was forced to take a step to catch his balance. Just as before, each “push” was stronger until the student was forced to run several steps to keep from falling down.

Why didn’t the student just open his eyes and find out what was going on? Involuntary movements are common when practicing Qigong so it is not unusual to find yourself moving in odd ways for no apparent reason. The student probably thought that the movements were a  natural byproduct of his practice. He had no reason to suspect that someone was actually “messing” with him.

After a while, Teacher Gong’s other son noticed what was happening and decided to join in on the fun. He stood in front of the same student and began to make the same pushing motions. Now, as soon as the student recovered from being pushed forward, he found himself being pushed backwards. There were mischievous smiles on the faces of Teacher Gong’s sons as they gently pushed the poor, unsuspecting student forward and back.

Perhaps sensing that this was not practice as usual after all, the student finally opened his eyes. Laughing, the boys explained what they had been doing. The student looked puzzled at first, but then, realizing he had just experienced a true manifestation of Qi, he joined in the laughter. The whole class then gathered round as the two explained what had happened. Several students immediately volunteered to be pushed and pulled around. It was all good natured fun but Teacher Gong finally had to intervene in order  to get everybody back on track. That was my first experience with the power of Qi but there were soon to be others.

Published June 11,  2015

No comments:

Post a Comment